[Haskell-beginners] Why Functional Programming Matters <-- this will make you smarter

Costello, Roger L. costello at mitre.org
Sun Jan 27 11:32:31 CET 2013

Hi Folks,

I have written a summary of the outstanding paper by John Hughes titled, Why Functional Programming Matters.

Hughes says that the purpose of his paper is to demonstrate to the "real world" that functional programming is vitally important.

I say that the purpose of his paper is to make you smarter. The paper presents a series of problems. As I proceeded through the problems, I realized that I was on a beautiful journey to the promised land of solving problems by simply combining existing parts. It was a thrilling, mind-expanding journey.

Hughes implemented the solutions to the problems using Miranda. I converted them to Haskell.

http://www.xfront.com/Haskell/Why-Functional-Programming-Matters.pdf

/Roger