[Haskell-beginners] Q 2 of 2: GUI and turnkey compiler?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 18:21:47 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Chaddaï Fouché <chaddai.fouche at gmail.com>wrote:

> In Linux, we resolved the problem by using package manager that know what
> libraries need to be installed for each package to work but it means that
> if you're not using your manager to install a soft, you'll have to install
> manually the libraries you need (which is probably what happened to Rustom,
> its debian upgrade removed or upgraded the libgmp.so his manually installed
> cabal needed).

Not sure how you come to that diagnosis.
As far as I can see on my machine
- cabal is /usr/bin/cabal
- the apt package cabal-install is installed and lists /usr/bin/cabal as a
file

So unless something really weird or magic-y happened, my cabal is debian's
cabal.

And so -- my diagnosis -- the fact that cabal broke after an OS upgrade
suggests that the apt package cabal has something wrong in its dependencies.

Of course, as I said, this is my diagnosis, and since I am not much more
than a layman in this area, I'll be happy to be corrected :-)