[Haskell-beginners] Q 2 of 2: GUI and turnkey compiler?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 20:07:43 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I can see on my machine
> - cabal is /usr/bin/cabal
> - the apt package cabal-install is installed and lists /usr/bin/cabal as a
> file
>
> So unless something really weird or magic-y happened, my cabal is debian's
> cabal.
>
> And so -- my diagnosis -- the fact that cabal broke after an OS upgrade
> suggests that the apt package cabal has something wrong in its dependencies.

That sounds reasonable, but also means that your issue is not with Haskell
but with Debian. In particular, it is Debian which does things like
shifting from ghc's own private libgmp to its system one, thus introducing
the possibility that a missed dependency can break things this way.

(That said, make certain that you don't have a ~/.cabal/bin/cabal running
around first --- if you mix distribution and cabal-install packages, you
can easily get into this kind of mess. Which is why we recommend going with
one or the other, and in particular not upgrading/replacing anything
installed via the distribution except via the distribution.)