[Haskell-beginners] Haskell GTK

harry voldermort at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 10 12:53:07 CEST 2013

Giacomo Tesio <giacomo <at> tesio.it> writes:

> I have to write a "simple" GUI that plot some timeseries with a few
parameterization (dates, times and so on...). The task should be simple, but
I'm find using the GTK binding quite weird.

> I'm surprised that nothing better exists for GUI programming in haskell. I
read a few about FRP but AFAIK it doesn't adress simple desktop UI full of
input to validate and grid/tree to show.

> Any suggestion? I've already read the pages on Hackage without much success.
> At least, can someone point me to the right direction for the codebase
organization?

Why did FRP not work for you? You could try reactive-banana[1], which has
specific support for GUI. If you want something closer to MVP,
binding-gtk[2][3] might help.

If you post more details about your application, someone may be able to
suggest a better way of structuring it. MVP originates from OO, and
OO-centric patterns are usually not the best way to go about something in
Haskell.

[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Reactive-banana
[2] http://code.accursoft.com/binding
[3] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/binding-gtk