[Haskell-beginners] Help with some heavy lifting...

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 03:04:33 CET 2013

Hoogle only indexes some small subset of libraries, while hayoo indexes
everything on hackage.  Unfortunately it seems like peoples' first
inclination is to visit hoogle because hey, it's like google right?  But in
fact hayoo is far better unless you know what you are looking for something
in the core libraries.

I think there is some technical merit behind hoogle, like being able to
search for function prototypes, and I do know you can make your own hoogle
command line searcher to search libraries installed on your machine.  But
usually you are searching for something you don't already have.

An actual google search comes up with
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MissingM/0.0.4/doc/html/Control-Monad-MissingM.htmlwhich
actually has findM proving my point that others have felt its absense
in the standard library.