[Haskell-beginners] hiding members of a data, separate accessors instead

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 21:00:26 CET 2013

On 03/24/2013 12:24 PM, Emmanuel Touzery wrote:
> But then since the library is using (..) that would mean everything is
> exported?

It only means that those fields are exported from that specific module.
Downstream modules that use Network.Http.Types internally may or may not
re-export everything.

Your example below doesn't import Network.Http.Types; it imports
Network.Http.Client.  If you look at the source for Network.Http.Client
you will see that it does not re-export everything it imported from
Network.Http.Types:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/http-streams/0.4.0.0/doc/html/src/Network-Http-Client.html

When you import Network.Http.Client, `ghc` only uses whatever is in the
export list of Network.Http.Client.