[Haskell-beginners] can't make distribution, requires rerunning ./configure

Josh Stratton strattonbrazil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 17:37:22 CET 2013

I recently downloaded the ghc distribution for Linux (x86_64) and had
difficulty installing to my machine.  The configure step seems to have
completed successfully, but when I run the followup "make install", it
fails suggesting that I haven't run the configure command yet.

atlas => ./configure --prefix=/opt/ghc
checking for path to top of build tree... /tmp/ghc-7.6.2
Build platform inferred as: x86_64-unknown-linux
Host platform inferred as: x86_64-unknown-linux
Target platform inferred as: x86_64-unknown-linux
GHC build  : x86_64-unknown-linux
GHC host   : x86_64-unknown-linux
GHC target : x86_64-unknown-linux
checking for perl... /rel/map/generic-2012.18.last/bin/perl
checking if your perl works in shell scripts... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gsed... sed
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether /usr/bin/gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for /usr/bin/gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking version of gcc... 4.4.6
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc -E
checking whether ld understands --hash-size=31...
checking whether ld understands --reduce-memory-overheads...
checking for extra options to pass gcc when compiling via C...  -fwrapv
checking Setting up CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, IGNORE_LINKER_LD_FLAGS and CPPFLAGS...
done
checking Setting up CONF_CC_OPTS_STAGE0, CONF_GCC_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE0,
CONF_LD_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE0 and CONF_CPP_OPTS_STAGE0... done
checking Setting up CONF_CC_OPTS_STAGE1, CONF_GCC_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE1,
CONF_LD_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE1 and CONF_CPP_OPTS_STAGE1... done
checking Setting up CONF_CC_OPTS_STAGE2, CONF_GCC_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2,
CONF_LD_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2 and CONF_CPP_OPTS_STAGE2... done
checking for .subsections_via_symbols... no
checking whether your assembler supports .ident directive... yes
checking for GNU non-executable stack support... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking size of void *... 8
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking whether /usr/bin/ar is GNU ar... yes
checking for ar arguments... q
checking whether ranlib is needed... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating settings
config.status: creating mk/config.mk
config.status: creating mk/install.mk
Configuration done, ready to 'make install'
(see README and INSTALL files for more info.)

                                                            atlas => make
install
make -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk install BINDIST=YES
NO_INCLUDE_DEPS=YES
ghc.mk:122: *** Please run ./configure first.  Stop.
make: *** [install] Error 2