[Haskell-beginners] Why Functional Programming Matters <-- this will make you smarter (Part 2)

Costello, Roger L. costello at mitre.org
Fri May 31 11:39:44 CEST 2013

Hi Folks,

I completed the second half of my summary of John Hughes' outstanding paper titled, Why Functional Programming Matters.

This second half describes the importance of lazy evaluation and function composition.

I converted all of Hughes' examples into Haskell.

It contains a lengthy example showing how to implement the game of tic-tac-toe, and how lazy evaluation enables the implementation of tic-tac-toe to have a level of modularity that would otherwise not be attainable. (Modularity is important. Hughes writes, "Modularity is the key to successful programming")

Here is my summary:

http://www.xfront.com/Haskell/Why-Functional-Programming-Matters-Part-2.pdf

/Roger