[Haskell-beginners] general structuring of "foreach" logic in IO

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 18:42:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM, John M. Dlugosz
<ngnr63q02 at sneakemail.com>wrote:

> On 4/14/2014 10:47 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> But it is the *compiler's* problem. "Constant" means "known at compile
>> time" to the compiler.
>>

> Pure means pure at run-time over the life of the executable.  Just because
> the compiler doesn't

To you. To the compiler, and to me actually, if it is not known at compile
time then it cannot be pure; it may not vary over an individual run of the
program but it can vary over the lifetime of the program itself. If I
cannot know it *statically* --- at compile time, since it is the compiler
that needs to know that it is static --- then it is not pure.