[Haskell-beginners] coming to grips with hackage

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Thu Feb 6 05:37:59 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 10:29 PM, tam at hiddenrock.com wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to work with Hackage in the
> context of a Linux distribution that already has its own package management
> situation.  Between distribution-provided packages containing Haskell programs
> and/or libraries, system-wide cabal installs, user-specific cabal installs,
> and cabal sandboxes, I can't seem to work out how the hackage/cabal architects
> intend people (ie, me) to juggle things.

The most robust approach is to find or create distro packages for
everything you need. I'm biased, but I think Gentoo has it best here
because its hackport utility makes it trivial to create ebuilds for
anything on hackage. We also gladly accept new ebuilds into our Haskell
overlay.

Arch and Debian are probably tied for second, but I don't know enough to
say. In any case, you should track down the Haskell community for your
distro and ask them about the easiest way to make a distro package from
hackage.