[Haskell-beginners] Is a ghc package the same as a cabal package?

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Tue Feb 18 16:26:23 UTC 2014

Is a ghc package the same as a cabal package? As far as I can tell they are not. I mean "package" as defined by the documentation for each.

In the ghc documentation it states that "A package specification is a Haskell record". A Cabal package seems to be a collection of stuff including the .cabal file etc.

Finally, does Hackage use the term "package" differently again?

Rant: package and/or build systems are the bane of my existence in any non-commercial language that I use. Sigh. I have been using Cabal and cabal-install naively (read "blindly") for long enough; time to come to grips with it.

Thanks, if anyone has time to help.

- P -