[Haskell-beginners] cabal install

Gilberto Melfe gilbertomelfe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 09:46:42 UTC 2014

Good morning, Good people of the haskell community!

I need to develop a web(site)/application. I want to try using Yesod.
First thing i need to install it. (I already have the haskell-platform)

So I run:
    cabal update

It tells me that a new version of cabal-install is available; then I run:
    cabal install cabal-install

After doing whatever it wants to do, successfully (at least that's what I
think the logs say; I didn't notice any error) I update my path to:
    export PATH=/home/.../.cabal/bin:$PATH

Everything is "OK" now! But I still don't have a cabal-install binary, and
this update has been performed only for me (inside my user account)!

Shouldn't I have a binary cabal-install to run?
How can I update globally? (for all users of the system!)

After this I'm going to try to install Yesod! And of course I would like to
install for all users of the system (yes I'm the only one:-) but I'm just
asking...)

Can anyone help me out?

Thank You very much!

Gilberto