[Haskell-beginners] Using "cabal test" and getting "cabal: Prelude.read: no parse"

Daniel King daniel.zidan.king at gmail.com
Tue May 27 18:47:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> This seems related, though I don't think it's your problem exactly:
>
>   https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1366

I saw that, realized I didn't change directory at all and wasn't
really sure how to proceed. It did help me narrow done the cause to
something directly in the test suite though.

> Apparently a "read: no parse" error can be generated when cabal fails
> to read a log file for some reason.  Can you tell us precisely what
> versions of cabal and ghc you are using (i.e. the output of ghc
> --version and cabal --version)?

Sure thing:

    1 danking at spock # cabal --version
    cabal-install version 1.20.0.2
    using version 1.20.0.0 of the Cabal library

    danking at spock # ghc --version
    The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.6.3

Upon seeing this version information, I tried changing my build-depends to
depend on Cabal 1.20 or greater, but I still get the error.

--
Dan King