Cabal package name patch

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 30 01:20:44 EDT 2006

Hi,

Simon's recent changes to the package system have the effect that
cabal-built packages cannot be used. Example error (from lambdabot, using
fps that was previously built using cabal):

scripts/BotPP.hs:20:0:
    Failed to load interface for `Data.ByteString.Char8':
        Bad interface file: /opt/ghc/lib/fps-0.7/ghc-6.5/Data/ByteString/Char8.hi
            Something is amiss; requested module  fps-0.7:Data.ByteString.Char8 differs from name found in the interface file fps:Data.ByteString.Char8

The attached patch fixes this in Cabal by passing the full package name
(including version) to the -package-name option.  I expect that it breaks
on older ghc versions, and thus should not be applied to the official
darcs repository.
But I hope it's still useful for someone while the underlying issue is
resolved. (Maybe ghc shouldn't be unhappy about this in the first place?)

regards,

Bertram
-------------- next part --------------

New patches:

[use full package version for -package-name
Bertram Felgenhauer <int-e at gmx.de>**20060730043834] {
hunk ./Distribution/Simple/GHC.hs 65
-import Distribution.Version	( Version(..) )
+import Distribution.Version	( Version(..), showVersion )
hunk ./Distribution/Simple/GHC.hs 137
-              ++ ["-package-name", pkgName (package pkg_descr) ]
+              ++ ["-package-name", pkgName (package pkg_descr) ++ "-" ++ showVersion (pkgVersion (package pkg_descr)) ]
}

Context:

[install: pass the verbose flag to register too
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060728085914]
[Add documentation of new LocalBuildInfo fields
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060726230130]
[Wrap excessively long line
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060726221702]
[Hold back on forcing vanilla libs for TH for the moment
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060726221532
 When we get confirmation from GHC devs that it's the right
 thing to do then we can add it in.
]
[Add initial support for --enable/disable-library-vanilla flags
jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com**20060720174408
 For additional information see these mail threads:

 http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2006-July/005522.html
 http://urchin.earth.li/pipermail/debian-haskell/2006-July/000220.html
]
[build and install cabal-setup as part of GHC build
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060720140417]
[fix indentation in do block for H'98 compatibility
Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk**20060711162221]
[resolve conflicts from henning-thielemann's work.  Thanks Henning!
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060708185016]
[install Haddock documentation in share/package/doc/html and register that path in the ghc-pkg
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060609194058]
[PackageDescription: haddockName generates the name of the .haddock file
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060609193924]
[PackageDescription: added toMaybe, some logical simplifications
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060609193508]
[Distribution.Simple.Utils: copyDirectoryRecursiveVerbose
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060609192715]
[Distribution.Compat.Directory: added getDirectoryContentsWithoutSpecial
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060609192421]
[Distribution.simple: haddock option --use-package tells which packages to hyperlink to
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060605183304]
[stripPrefix -> dropPrefix
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060604195549]
[generate .haddock interface file when running haddock
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060604195216]
[UNDO: Merge "unrecognized long opt" fix from 6.4.2
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060705142842
 This patch undid the previous patch, "merge from base".  I asked Sven
 to revert it, but didn't get an answer.

 See GHC bug #473.
]
[Change flags passed to hsc2hs
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060704001926
 The extra-libraries must be passed as -L-l${lib} or linking the C prog
 that hsc2hs generates may fail if any symbols are referenced.
 Also can't use cppOptions function since hsc2hs doesn't support -U.
 Need to do -U flags in ccOptions seperately.
]
[finish interaction with remote HTTP servers
audreyt at audreyt.org**20060624233156]
[stage 2 patch: implement the "list" command
audreyt at audreyt.org**20060624231421]
[it's now 00-latest not latest
audreyt at audreyt.org**20060624221907]
[implement support for flat-file layout
audreyt at audreyt.org**20060624221547]
[parsec is not a dependency
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060518131434
 It is apparently required for the wash2hs test, however.
]
[Merge "unrecognized long opt" fix from 6.4.2
Sven Panne <sven.panne at aedion.de>**20060506110640]
[Cabal.xml: entity greencard was mixed up with haddock
cabal at henning-thielemann.de**20060411161212]
[Change calls to 'make' into '$(MAKE)'
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060502174630
 This is the portable thing to do and fixes things on FreeBSD where make/=gmake
]
[Hugs: copy paths module to the right place, this time
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060503132510]
[pass correct -P flag to ffihugs
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060503122452

 The -P flag wasn't superfluous, but it was wrong for executables.
]
[Hugs: copy path module into package build dir
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060503122300]
[add header file for GetModuleFileNameA
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060502141641]
[remove superfluous ffihugs -P option
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060502104635]
[fix for Hugs
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060502101054

 Add explicit types for a couple of constants to work around Hugs's
 imperfect implementation of the monomorphism restriction.
]
[TAG 1.1.4
duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk**20060502095901]
[TAG shipped in GHC 6.4.2
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060424093133]
[Hugs: also compile the paths module
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060501171206]
[markup fix
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060501145015]
[move cabal-install/etc-cabal-get to cabal-install/etc-cabal-install
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060430175158]
[Complete move of cabal-get to cabal-install + some fixups
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060430174300]
[basic information for installing
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430063205]
[build and install cabal-setup
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430063144]
[add etc-cabal-get as a data-file
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430055332]
[bumping cabal version number. 1.1.4 will be the one released with ghc 6.4.2.
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430044905]
[modify makefile for cabal-install
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430041617]
[cabal-get will become cabal-install
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430025633]
[getting rid of cabal-install in favor of cabal-get
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060430024951]
[Remove erroneous exports...
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060428195702]
[Patch to fix "-ixyz" being overwritten by "-i" and to remove Cabal's dependency on the Cabal package.
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060428055353]
[Separate build into "make build" and "make install"
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060428034151]
[Fixups to get cabal-get into Cabal
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060428032617]
[Update Cabal with cabal-get
alson at alsonkemp.com**20060427204050]
[Fix JHC command lines.
Einar Karttunen <ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi>**20060427005922]
[document install-includes and register --inplace
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060428130542]
[fix imports for Windows
simonmar at microsoft.com**20060428075617]
[Better support for packages that need to install header files
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060426140627

 There's a new field for .cabal files:

      install-includes: foo.h bar.h

 This means the same as 'includes', except that the files named therein
 will be installed into $libdir/include.  'includes' should only be
 used for headers already installed on the system.

 Directories listed in 'include-dirs' still turn into -I options for
 hsc2hs, cpphs, and C compilations.  However, for installation
 purposes, relative directories in 'include-dirs' are now treated
 differently from absolute directories:

   - an absolute directory is copied to the include-dirs field
     of the installed package config

   - files names in install-includes are assumed to be found in
     one of the *relative* directories listed in include-dirs

 So the common pattern for providing a header file that you want to
 be available everywhere including to via-C compilations against this
 package:

   include-dirs: myincludes
   install-includes: foo.h

 will install the header file myincludes/foo.h in
 $libdir/include/foo.h.
]
[merge from base:
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060426121408

 Wed Apr 26 13:11:10 BST 2006  Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>
   * RequireOrder: do not collect unrecognised options after a non-opt
]
[pass unrecognised options before the command name to the command
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060426121321
 Previously, options before the command name other than --help were
 just ignored, which is quite confusing behaviour.  So now,

 ./setup --with-compiler=ghc-6.4.2 configure

 works as you expect, instead of ignoring the --with-compiler option.
]
[First attempt at a cabal-setup command
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060303162233
 cabal-setup is a replacement for 'runhaskell Setup.hs'.  It accepts
 exactly the same commands.  Additionally, the following new features
 are provided:

  * Setup.{hs,lhs} is optional.  If omitted, cabal-setup behaves just
    like Distribution.Simple.defaultMain.

  * If the .cabal file contains a cabal-version field, then Setup.hs
    is built using an appropriate version of Cabal.  This might entail
    creating Setup.hs if it doesn't exist.

  * cabal-setup interprets the options --with-compiler and --with-hc-pkg
    to determine the compiler used to compile Setup.hs.

 Later, we could add support for building multiple packages in
 dependency order, as per recent discussions on libraries at haskell.org.
]
[add new modules
Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>**20060425195548]
[Implement "setup register --inplace", and a few other minor things
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060425144733

 There are a few changes in this patch:

    - New flag to register, --inplace.  "setup register --inplace"
      registers the package for use in the build tree, i.e. without
      installing.  It works with GHC only, currently.

    - The parameters to RegisterCmd, UnregisterCmd and InstallCmd are a
      legacy from before the time of hooks (or something) and don't
      serve any purpose any more, AFAICT.  So I removed them.

    - I don't think "setup register" worked propertly before if
      --user was given to configure.  It does now.

    - New flag to register: --with-hc-pkg (just the same as when
      given to configure, but lets you override it at register-time)
]
[Refactoring only: separate compiler-specific simple build implementation
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060425111957]
[get LocalBuildInfo from Distribution.LocalBuildInfo
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060425111921]
[warning cleanup
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060425102302]
[Distribution.Compat.FilePath should be hidden
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060411141305
 This also matches package.conf.in.
]
[Hide Distribution.GetOpt; it just re-exports System.Console.GetOpt anyway
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060411141045
 This also matches Cabal.cabal.
]
[GHC FFI flag should be -fffi not -ffi, the latter merely happens to work.
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060318022010]
[Make ghc-6.2 packages be exposed by default.
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060221135026
 For ghc-6.4 when Cabal registers packages it exposes them by default.
 However it does not do the same fo ghc-6.2. This change corrects the
 discrepancy. This patch is already being used in Gentoo with Cabal 1.1.3.
]
[test case for buildinfo with multiple executables
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060408213048]
[It is no longer necessary to run 'configure' before 'clean' or 'sdist', addressing http://haskell.galois.com/trac/hackage/ticket/12.
Nick Alexander <ncalexan at uci.edu>**20060404054127
 In order to change this behaviour, it was necessary to modify the hook interface, specifically cleanHook, postClean, sDistHook, postSDist.  They now take a Maybe LocalBuildInfo, since a LocalBuildInfo might not be available in .setup-config.
]
[windows patch from brian.mabry.edwards at gmail.com
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060404171731]
[oops, don't enable -split-objs by default
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060314124358]
[export configDependency
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060303155527]
[comment fix
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060303155516]
[don't check cabal-version during parsing, it doesn't work
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060303155500
 because parsers are evaluated multiple times due to backtracking.
]
[no need to use a verbatim copy of System.Console.GetOpt, omit if possible
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060303144025]
[Support for -split-objs with GHC
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060302170907
 New configure option: --enable-split-objs creates libraries using
 -split-objs with GHC (current HEAD or later only, the configure checks
 for version 6.5).  Fixes ticket #19.
]
[Initial support for JHC
Einar Karttunen <ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi>**20060206233543]
[added some fields to test suite for duncan's mods
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060204223256]
[fixup PackageDescription test code
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060201183912
 just ignore the extra ParseOk warnings field
]
[ignore "x-" extension fields without a warning
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060201183145]
[Make unknown fields a warning rather than an error
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060201182944
 Add support for warnings to the ParseResult type. Change existing
 warnings from using Debug.Trace to use this new warning support.
]
[fix conflict
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060206095833]
[push and pull all
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060201185441]
[combine GNUmakefile and Makefile
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060206095400]
[now build Setup.lhs instead of using runghc on it. still uses runhugs.
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060130054810]
[cabal-install uses defaultMain if it can't find Setup.lhs
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060130050710]
[cleaned up suffix handler params to hooks
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060116064811

 Summary if last few changes: I modified the hooks interface quite a
 bit, again.  There's good news and bad news about this.  The good news
 is that it's cleaned up and should be easier to maintain and to avoid
 future modifications.  The bad news is that this change itself will
 break stuff, of course.

 If you have any trouble building your Setup scripts, please let me
 know.  I really think that it was best to bite the bullet right now in
 one big go instead of down the road with lots of little changes.  I
 have a lot more confidence in the hooks interface, and I don't
 actually expect that it'll change as often.

 I made the types more consistent, and made sure there are accessor
 functions on each of the Flags types so that if the flags types change
 in the future, it shouldn't break lots of code.

 Another piece of good / bad news is that I decided not to get rid of
 the pre & post hooks.  They are nice for convenience and it wouldn't
 be nearly so easy to write hooks without them.

 That's bad because the interface to hooks is still pretty big, which
 means that there's more likelihood that it'll change in the future.

 Another weakness in the Hooks interface is that with command hooks
 (like sDistHook) it's tempting to add parameters to them; basically
 the stuff that we compute between the preSDist and sDist hook.  I
 removed such params and have their values computed elsewhere.

 Cabal hackers, please avoid adding parameters to these command hooks
 if at all possible in order to keep the interface steady.  If you need
 to compute a value to pass to these functions, compute it in the
 function and / or make it available as a function that someone
 crafting hooks can use as well, or consider whether it belongs in one
 of the parameters already being passed to the hooks,
 PackageDescription, LocalBuildInfo, UserHooks, Flags.

]
[make the order of params to cmd hooks consistent
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060116055858]
[remove some flags from sdist, some cleanup
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060116053818]
[clarifying and making flags types consistent
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060116035033]
[changing tuple types to records w/ fields
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060115234317]
[moving TODO stuff to wiki
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060115234303]
[fix version number in fptools makefile to match .cabal file
ijones at syntaxpolice.org**20060201183331]
[Add extraGHCiLibraries to the InstalledPackageInfo and extend the parser.
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>**20060131163640]
[re-add the GNUmakefiles
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>*-20060123115236
 These are now safe after we added "-f Makefile" to the make args when invoked
 from the GHC build system.  This repo should now be useable as the main
 Cabal repo.
]
[re-add the GNUmakefiles
Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com>**20060123115236
 These are now safe after we added "-f Makefile" to the make args when invoked
 from the GHC build system.  This repo should now be useable as the main
 Cabal repo.
]
[TAG checkpoint
simonmar at microsoft.com**20060113152542]
Patch bundle hash:
26aa0068ca0a474348f40ab656ee4f30317d4943