[Otakar Smrz] Cabal's `sdist` on Win32

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 20:33:53 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 23:15 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > -- line 133 replaced with these two system calls
> >
> >    system $ unwords ["tar -C", tmpDir, "-cf",
> >                                 tarBallFilePath, nameVersion pkg_descr]
> >    system $ unwords ["gzip -9", tarBallFilePath]

So the version of tar there is too old to understand the -z flag?

> What was the original line here? And why are tar and gzip being used,
> when a much more "windows" thing to do would be to create a .zip file
> - although I guess thats not what people want.

We'd still need a .zip file reader.

I would suggest we ship zlib.dll on windows, and not use external tar or
gzip programs, but then of course we run into the problem that there's
nowhere to put the .dll that will work (unless someone can figure out
how to use isolated .dlls and manifests and all that).

So perhaps including a recent tar prog (that understands -z) would be
the way forward. We'd need this for cabal-install in future, it's not
just sdist.

Duncan