Configurations proposal

Brian Smith brianlsmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 10:39:23 EDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Before the 6.6 release we had a longish discussion on how to do
> configurations and their semantics and implementation complexity etc.
>
> I would like to re-propose the last scheme that I cam up with. I'll try
> to make it a concrete proposal as well as giving some motivating
> examples to give the intuition of the meaning.

The only way I have really wanted to use configurations so far is to build
debug, profiling, and optimized versions of a library. In order to build
multiple configurations, is it going to still be the case that I have to
"configure / build / install" separately for each configuration? I would
like to be able to say something like "Setup.lhs configure --optimized
--debug --profiled" to build all three versions at once.

Also, let's say I have this:

    Name: foo
    Version: 1.0

    configuration: flag(DEBUG)
    cpp-options: -DDEBUG

    Name: bar
    Build-depends: foo >= 1.0

    configuration: flag(DEBUG)
    Build-depends: ????

How can I say that I want the DEBUG version of package "bar" to depend on
the DEBUG version of package "foo."?  Is this allowed?

    Name: foo
    Version: 1.0

    configuration: flag(debug)
    Name: foo-debug

Otherwise, how can I have a debug and an optimized configuration of a given
library installed at the same time?

Regards,
Brian