Configurations proposal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 14:08:14 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 09:06 -0500, Brian Smith wrote:

> Packages should be created in such a way that the set of things
> exported from the package should not change based on configuration.

Yes. I think I do agree.

As an example, as it stands Gtk2Hs is a bunch of packages, however if
configurations allowed changing the exposed modules then I could
actually package Gtk2Hs all as one single package. That would be a very
bad thing. Then as Brian says, there's no way to depend on one of those
optional bits.

We are introducing a big new feature here, we can start out
conservatively and not allow some fields to be used in configuration
stanzas. If a real need arises we can review.

Duncan