Configurations proposal

Einar Karttunen ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Oct 25 19:59:00 EDT 2006

On 25.10 09:06, Brian Smith wrote:
> Please point out some cases where splitting a package into multiple packages
> would lead to recursive package dependencies so I can study them.

There are two logging handlers: logger-null and logger-db.
Logger-db depends on a database connection. Database connections
are provided by postgresql and mysql modules which both depend
on a logger being selected.

Thus build-depends:

logger-null:
logger-db:    db-any
db-any: postgresql || mysql
postgresql: logger-db
mysql: logger-db

> I understand that this would increase the number of packages. But, if it
> would increase the number of packages 10x, then that means that the original
> package could be configured with 10 different subsets of functionality. In
> that case, saying "Build-depends: foo" for that package foo would be almost
> meaningless. You would need to add some kind of more specific dependency
> like "Build-depends: foo (Foo.Bar.A, Foo.Bar.C, Foo.Bar.D)" to indicate what
> modules you need from foo.

16 different subsets are created by e.g. 4 binary choices.

e.g. in network-alt I have one choice with 4 alternatives (the
backend) and the choice whether to use fps. Then there is
debugging. That is 4*2*2 = 16 choices.

And only the FPS one affects API.

> Packages should be created in such a way that the set of things exported
> from the package should not change based on configuration. If some features
> are only valid under one configuration, then they should be factored out
> into a seperate module and then a seperate package. For example,
> GHC-specific features should be factored out into a separate package,
> Windows-specific features should be factored out into a separate package,
> etc. More-or-less, that is how the hierarchical libraries are designed at
> the module level.

Except this is not true even for the base-package. See e.g.
Control.Concurrent. Another problem is that they usually use
internals of the package that one does not which to export.

> If I build package foo with base 1.0, then I am going to be missing some
> features from it. The dependency "foo >= 2.0" doesn't fully describe the
> dependency. We could change it to " foo >= 2.0, base >= 1.1," but I'm not
> sure that means "I depend on foo 2.0 or later being built with base 1.1 or
> later" and furthermore, it means that packages' dependencies are not
> self-contained.

And package authors should take care on not doing evil things. There
are very many Haskell packages that do all kinds of magic with CPP
depending e.g. on compiler version.

- Einar Karttunen