Configurations proposal

Einar Karttunen ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Oct 25 20:06:33 EDT 2006

On 25.10 19:08, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> We are introducing a big new feature here, we can start out
> conservatively and not allow some fields to be used in configuration
> stanzas. If a real need arises we can review.

Would it really help? Packages are very much about social control
(issues like namespace allocation), so I am not sure trying to
protect users from packagers is a good argument to make things
more complicated.

An user is equally hurt if 1) an exposed module is missing, 2)
it doesn't define the function, 3) it happens to lack critical
instances etc. Having dummy modules with dummy function
implementations is even worse - the error is only displayed
at run-time.

- Einar Karttunen