darcs patch: don't automatically include install-incl... (and 2 more)

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:28:56 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've discussed my previous patch ("add extra-includes field to buildinfo")
with Duncan and we came to the conclusion that adding a new field is not
necessary.

Instead, the semantics of the install-include: field can be changed so
that the files listed there are only installed but not automatically
included in compilations via C. The inclusion can still be achieved by
listing the file in the includes: field as well. (This is an incompatible
change but it should not affect too many packages, I hope.)

See the patch descriptions below for details. The patches are tested
with ghc HEAD with an updated cabal file for the base file.

Thinking about these patches uncovered a different problem: it is hard
to include files that come with the package itself in the packages'
compilation. The base package (my working example) uses the trick of
listing "../../includes" in the include-dirs field. This works, but
it's not very pretty. I have no good solution for that problem at the
moment though.

Bertram

Fri Apr 20 14:34:18 CEST 2007  Bertram Felgenhauer <int-e at gmx.de>
  * don't automatically include install-include: headers into compilations via C
  This way it's possible to install header files that are meant for preprocessing
  Haskell code, or header files that are meant to be indirectly included by
  others.

Fri Apr 20 14:35:27 CEST 2007  Bertram Felgenhauer <int-e at gmx.de>
  * install headers for all compilers
  This patch moves the installation of header files from Distribution.Simple.GHC
  to Distribution.Simple.Install. This is required for the header files to be
  usable for preprocessing Haskell code in other packages.

Fri Apr 20 15:15:24 CEST 2007  Bertram Felgenhauer <int-e at gmx.de>
  * update documentation for install-headers: field