patch applied (cabal): add --enable-optimization/--disable-optimization config options (on by default)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 12 04:36:42 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 16:46 -0800, Ross Paterson wrote:
> Sun Feb 11 16:45:13 PST 2007  Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk>
>   * add --enable-optimization/--disable-optimization config options (on by default)
>
>     M ./Distribution/Setup.hs +9
>     M ./Distribution/Simple/Configure.hs +1
>     M ./Distribution/Simple/GHC.hs +1
>     M ./Distribution/Simple/LocalBuildInfo.hs +1
>     M ./doc/Cabal.xml +18

This is great (I kept meaning to get round to it!) but I'm not sure it
should be on by default. Certainly it should be used by cabal-install
since that is a user tool for installing a package, but developers use
the Seyup.hs or cabal-setup tools directly and they will not want -O to
be on by default I think. If they were building it to install then
they'd use the other tool, so if they're using the dev tool then it's
likely because they want to do some development work and so will want a
shorter build time.

(Similarly, profiling is off for Setup.hs/cabal-setup but perhaps should
be on by default for cabal-install)

Am I wrong? What do other people reckon?

Duncan