Should HEAD of Cabal be depending on the new library world order?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Fri Jul 6 07:07:13 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 07:52:10PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> Is there any chance that we could bless some revision of Cabal that will
> compile with GHC 6.6.1, give it a name, and then go back and resplit
> things in preparation for future greatness?

We already have this: The version that comes with 6.6.1 is blessed and
named, and the HEAD contains future greatness. I assume there is some
more recent change that you need, though?

If you need something from the latest Cabal then there are 3 solutions:
* Remove the "pretty, directory, old-time, process" deps from the .Cabal
  file locally
* Install empty "pretty, directory, old-time, process" packages
* Write a remove_new_libs in Cabal's Setup.hs, similar to the
  add_extra_libs in the base package. I'm not sure how you'd work out
  when this needs to be done, though.

The first one is the easiest for a one-off, the second is easier if
you're going to follow Cabal development and the last has the advantage
of being something that can go into the repo and fix it for everyone.

Thanks
Ian