Converting Yhc to use Cabal

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Jun 20 11:00:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 02:05:36PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> * We would like to depend on fps/base depending on compiler version.
> Configurations will allow this.

Although if you don't have base+bytestring then you'll have to compile a
Cabal that supports configurations yourself.

For older compilers you can just make an empty bytestring package, of
course.

> * We'd ideally like multiple cabal files in one directory - for things
> like ycr2js, yhc, yhi etc.

Why do you want that?

Based on http://darcs.haskell.org/yhc/src/SConscript it looks like you
pretty much have a directory per project, so why not put the .cabal
files in those directories?

You can then write a Setup.hs for the root such that, for example,
"Setup build" builds all of the child cabal packages and "Setup build
yhi" just builds yhi, for example.

This root Setup.hs wouldn't actually use any of the Cabal API yet,
although we might want to support meta-package .cabal files in the
future, for exactly this sort of use.

> * Can Cabal compile C files?

Yes.

> Can it do things like testing the size of
> int/long etc?

No.

Thanks
Ian