Cabal and RPM redux

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 26 23:06:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 01:42 +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 04:32:36PM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> > Since my last attempt to add RPM support didn't go anywhere, I'd like to
> > figure out what's a good way to make progress.
> >
> > If I were to contribute a standalone program called cabal-rpm (just as
> > cabal-install is a standalone program), would that be acceptable to add
> > to the darcs repo?
>
> I keep meaning to speak to Duncan about whether we can put cabal-install
> (and any others) into its own repo. Duncan?
>
> The current source arrangement is a little odd, and I think Simon
> Marlow, Duncan and I agreed that cabal-install shouldn't come with a
> minimal GHC (as it would pull in things like HTTP, FTP, SSL, ...
> libraries, either now or in the future) while a minimal GHC has to
> include Cabal.

Right, so long as when clueless people/students download ghc it has all
that they need to get going with installing things from hackage then
it's all ok. So if that means a slightly fatter ghc bindist that
includes Cabal + cabal-install then yeah fine.

As you say, distros can sort themselves out and have minimal ghc and
cabal-install as separate packages.

Duncan