cabal install

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 4 18:27:15 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 20:22 +0100, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2007, at 17:10 , Jean-Philippe Bernardy wrote:

> it works fine for me, but I only have GHC 6.6.1 at the moment. What
> platform are you on?

It'll be using Cabal-1.2.2.0

> I'm not sure what the dist/Conftest.c error is about. I'm CC:ing
> cabal-devel, perhaps some other Cabal hacker can help.

Yes, so what changed is that configuring ghc now tests ld to see if it
supports the -x flag. This involves creating some temp files. At the
moment it assumes that the dist dir exists since this is the case when
we're doing configure. Unfortunately of course this is not the case when
cabal-install configures the compiler.

I suppose the right thing is for the ghc ld -x test to use the temp dir
rather than assuming the existence of the dist dir. I'm not sure how we
should work around that in cabal-install to make it work with the
released Cabal.

Duncan