suggestion: add a .ehs file type

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 16:16:19 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 14:59 -0500, Alex Jacobson wrote:
> Cabal is not a solution to this problem because
>
> 1. you want your code to work via ghci and runhaskell and perhaps via
> searchpath.
>
> 2. you may want to move a module from one package to another and you
> don't want to have to examine the cabal file to figure out how to do
> that.  The source file should have enough information.

I agree. I'd prefer to see the extensions field in the .cabal be just
the union of the ones specified in LANGUAGE pragmas in the source files
and not have the meaning of applying those extensions.

So I'd like to see it become a declaration to the outside world about
what extensions are needed to compile the package, not a way of applying
extensions to all modules in the package.

In practise for backwards compatibility we'll have to have both for the
time being.

Duncan