Where should cabal install to by default?

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Mon Aug 4 18:40:25 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Linux I'm not sure where else we could
> put things that's per-user. People seem to object strenuously to
> programs automatically putting files in any dir other than ~/.progname
> (or one or two other .files established by specification or convention).

just a thought:

If you're into this standard
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
, we could use $XDG_CACHE_HOME/cabal or $XDG_DATA_HOME/cabal
by default (depending whether you think what Cabal installs
is just a cache, or not) ( the default values to use for
those if not defined are $HOME/.cache and $HOME/.local/share ).
Various things, not all X-related, use that
convention/standard; the search-paths ($XDG_DATA_DIRS,
$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS) can come in handy to separate my own
configuration from whatever's been thrown in dot-dirs too.

-Isaac