patch applied (cabal): Implement QA for PackageDescription

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 10:35:10 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 15:00 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:39:11PM -0800, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Thu Jan 17 14:36:10 PST 2008  Lennart Kolmodin <kolmodin at gentoo.org>
> >   * Implement QA for PackageDescription
> >   Addresses #191 (QA) and #180 (QA for missing license).
> >   This patch only adds a new exposed module, it's not yet used anywhere.
>
> I'd prefer that it be called something other than "QA", because it doesn't
> (and can't) assure quality.

True. I was just borrowing terminology from gentoo :-)

> Would it make sense to combine this with sanityCheckPackage, possibly
> with a selectable level of checking, so that all the checks are in one
> place, and policy can be easily adjusted?

We looked at trying to extract sanityCheckPackage from the
PackageDescription module. It's not at all trivial without exposing lots
of internals in the PackageDescription api.

I suspect the right thing is to break that module up and move some bits
into other private modules. It's the single largest module in Cabal
~1,200 lines of code (1,700 lines total).

Duncan