Misplacement of installed binaries

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 03:07:48 EDT 2008

Hi

This problem just bit me quite severely. Imagine the scenario:

You install haddock using runhaskell method.

You upgrade haddock, and install it using cabal install.

Both binaries get placed in different places, and depending on your
PATH, you either end up running the old one or the new one. The
difference is subtle, and not good! This is highly unusual for Windows
behaviour.

Therefore I ammend my vote to always install as global, if that fails,
give a message to the user suggesting they might try a local install.
Otherwise these issues will crop up more and more. Anyway, typing
"install" kind of gives the impression to a Windows user that admin
access will be required, so I don't think its too bad.

Thanks

Neil