darcs patch: Implement 'cabal list --simple-output' (and 1 more)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 20:18:16 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 20:52 +0100, Lennart Kolmodin wrote:
> Sun Mar  2 20:54:37 CET 2008  Lennart Kolmodin <kolmodin at gentoo.org>
>   * Implement 'cabal list --simple-output'
>   Provides a output format that is easier to pass on to unix tools and other
>   scripting tools. Also works together with --installed.
>
> Sun Mar  2 20:56:39 CET 2008  Lennart Kolmodin <kolmodin at gentoo.org>
>   * Remove shortopt -I for --installed

Applied thanks. "cabal list" is much more useful now.

Originally "cabal list" on it's own listed all packages. That makes a
lot less sense now that we have so many packages and the output for each
is a few lines. I get over 3,000 lines of output now. I wonder what you
think we should do? Perhaps print a message saying to use some search
terms.

"cabal list --simple-output" still makes sense with no search terms
since that's not intended for human consumption.

We should find out what people want the --simple-output for exactly. For
example do they really want substring matching by default or exact like
"ghc-pkg list", or prefix for command completion?

Duncan