patch applied (cabal): Parse Bool fields using more cunning, allow new parses with a warning

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 21:08:43 EDT 2008

Thu Mar 27 14:34:11 PDT 2008  Duncan Coutts <duncan at haskell.org>
  * Parse Bool fields using more cunning, allow new parses with a warning
  We want to allow case-insensitive parsing however we don't want
  packages being uploaded to hackage that will break older versions of
  Cabal. If we allow new valid parses then we will end up breaking
  stuff. So what we really want to do is allow new parses but warn if
  they're not ones that older versions of Cabal would have allowed. So
  long as hackage rejects pakcages that have parse warnings then we can
  prevent new .cabal files appearing on hackage that would break older
  Cabal versions. Our current parser (ReadP) does not support warnings
  so we have to handle the bool fields specially in the parser wrapper
  layer that we added to handle errors and warnings. This can go away
  when we use a parser with support for error and warning messages.

    M ./Distribution/InstalledPackageInfo.hs -3 +2
    M ./Distribution/PackageDescription/Parse.hs -4 +2
    M ./Distribution/ParseUtils.hs -2 +20

View patch online:

  http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal/_darcs/patches/20080327213411-adfee-be7ff0f8a32cea117ce2bf35040c2833968897f3.gz