version tags

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 8 17:45:06 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:36 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/regex-tdfa-0.92-ghc-68-build-fix
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/regex-tdfa-0.92
>
>    Version [0,92] []
> == Version [0,92] ["ghc", "68", "build", "fix"]
>  = False
>

> I'm sure this is going to break something, though I'm not sure exactly
> what yet. We should figure something out.

I suggest that tags should be kept as far as possible but not considered
for equality or ordering.

Unfortunately Version is defined in base in Data.Version so we will have
to submit a library proposal to change the Eq instance.

Does this seem like a good idea? What is/was the rationale for tags in
the first place?

Duncan