version tags

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 14 05:54:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 19:02 +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:12:06AM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > I'm planning on changing the equivalent of showVersion in Cabal to not
> > display the tags.
>
> The hackageDB upload script rejects packages for which show of parse is
> not the original string (in the .cabal file, the directory name and the
> tarfile name).  So the effect would be to ban tags.

Yes, though a more specific error message is a bit friendlier which is
why I sent the patch to do that.

So are people happy with this change then:

Fri May  9 10:44:55 BST 2008  Duncan Coutts <duncan at haskell.org>
  * Do not display version tags

    hunk ./Distribution/Text.hs 38
    -  disp (Version branch tags)
    +  disp (Version branch _tags) -- Do not display the tags
    hunk ./Distribution/Text.hs 40
    -   <> Disp.hcat (map (\tag -> Disp.char '-' <> Disp.text tag) tags)

Duncan