Haddock vs GHC version

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 06:47:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 11:09 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Check the cabal configure -v output. Check that you're picking up the
> > versions and locations of ghc and haddock that you expect.
>
> I'm not, I get:
>
> Using haddock version 2.5.0 found on system at: C:\Program
> Files\Haskell\bin\haddock.exe
>
> But running haddock gives:
>
> $ haddock --version
> Haddock version 2.4.2, (c) Simon Marlow 2006
> Ported to use the GHC API by David Waern 2006-2008
>
> $ which haddock
> c:\ghc\ghc-6.10.2\bin\haddock.exe

> How come it's picking up a different haddock? Is that an error with
> the findExecutable, or is it deliberately trying to pick a newer
> version?

It's not looking for a newer version. It's looking for the first version
that is on the Windows %PATH% env var.

It looks like your real Windows %PATH% is not set to the same thing as
your MSYS $PATH. I thought that MSYS made these consistent but perhaps
not. In ghci, see what System.Environment.getEnv "PATH" says. Is it the
same as MSYS's echo $PATH? I wonder if running export PATH in MSYS makes
any difference.

Duncan