Windows Install Issues for erf (and statistics)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:37:53 EDT 2009

On 23/09/2009 09:03, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 22/09/2009 17:37, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>> I'll look into it at work tomorrow. The problem I had before was that
>> it worked in ghc, but not ghci.
>> If there's no bug report I'll file one.
>
> I wouldn't say it was a bug - the function really doesn't exist, and the
> library really does refer to it (AIUI). The reason that ghc behaves
> differently from ghci is that you don't have to link all the symbols
> from a .a library. The same problem will occur in ghc if the package is
> compiled to a shared library or DLL.

It seems I'm wrong - the problem is really that erf() and friends come
from the static libmingwex.a library, which doesn't have a DLL
equivalent and therefore aren't available under GHCi.  erf and co will
have to join the long list of symbols in GHCi's linker that have the
same unfortunate property.

This is of course not a sustainable process.  If we ever do a truly
native Windows port with no MinGW libraries then the problem with
reoccur (but at least it will behave consistently across GHC and GHCi).

Cheers,
	Simon