New test-suite functionality

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:12:38 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 13:18 +0100, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yep, that was it. Is there a reason the 'test' command doesn't work by
> > default? It seems odd that typing 'cabal test' isn't enough of an
> > indication of what I wanted to do. There are probably backwards
> > compatibility concerns I don't know about, though.
>
> Since the tests are built during the "build" phase rather than during
> the "test" phase we decided to not build the tests by default to cut
> down on build times in the default case.

And because building them would pull in extra dependencies (which have
to be checked at configure time).

So we ought to find a better way of representing the situation with
configure --disable-tests, so that cabal test fails with a helpful error
message to reconfigure with --enable-tests, and rebuild. Currently we
cannot distinguish no testsuites from disabled testsuites.

Duncan