New test-suite functionality

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 19:10:21 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Cabal,
>
> Is there documentation for the new test-suite functionality? I tried
> adding the following stanza to my package description:
>
> test-suite basic
>    default-language: Haskell2010
>    type: exitcode-stdio-1.0
>    main-is: Basic.hs
>    hs-source-dirs: tests
>
> Running 'cabal test' only yields :
>
> Running 0 test suites...
> 0 of 0 test suites (0 of 0 test cases) passed.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? It would be nice if I got an error
> message. It doesn't seem to matter at all what I fill in to the stanza
> for the main-is and hs-source-dirs fields.
>
> Thanks,
> Antoine

Are you configuring/building the package with the commands 'cabal
configure --enable-tests' and 'cabal build' before trying to run
tests?  I suspect the problem you are encountering is that the default
option for 'configure' is '--disable-tests'.  I apologize for the
confusion; this is documented in the Cabal User's Guide, but obviously
the documentation I wrote needs improvement :)

This case also indicates to me that we need to add a gentle reminder
about 'cabal configure --enable-tests' whenever 'cabal test' is
invoked, but no test suites are found.

--
Thomas Tuegel