[Haskell-cafe] Diffs for hackage

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Aug 13 23:39:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 13.08.2011, 12:57 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Maybe it would already help to add a "changelog-file" field to .cabal,
> just as with license-file, and reject packages on hackage that do not
> have this field and file, and later decide if we need a more
> standardized format for changelogs.

here is a first step in improving the Haskell ecosystem with that
regard:
The patch attached to http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/873
makes "cabal check" remind the author that a changelog file is good
practice (without fixing a name or format, or adding a field to
the .cabal file). I hope it gets applied (hence CC’ing cabal-devel).

Changing developers’ behavior by nudging tools is something that works
great in Debian – if you want a change to get implemented across
multiple packages, make sure lintian tells you about it. Hoping that
people tend to run cabal check before uploading their package, they
would now be reminded to include a changelog file.

The next steps towards great changes documentation would then be:
 * Defining a changelog-file field in cabal.
 * Adding support to hackage to display the changelog.
 * Possibly define a suggested format for changelogs.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner