Cabal && license combinations

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Mon Feb 7 15:42:21 CET 2011

> It seems then that a package should be the least restrictive
> combination of all the licenses in all the contained modules.

Omit the words "least restrictive" and I think you are correct.

To combine licences, just aggregate them.  There is no lattice of
subsumption; no "more" or "less" restrictive ordering.  It's simple:
you must obey all of them.  Some aggregations introduce a
contradiction of terms, so you cannot legally aggregate those modules
without breaking some term.  But if the terms of the aggregated
licences are compatible rather than contradictory, then all is good.

Regards,
     Malcolm