cabal test and detailed-0.9 strangeness

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 22:53:32 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been playing with the detailed-0.9 test-suite option on a package of
mine. First, what I have:

in my package root, I have my .cabal file and a tests folder containing a
Tests.hs

in my Tests.hs, I took the code from the online user guide (minus the odd
guards with == True and == False):

{-# LANGUAGE FlexibleInstances #-}
module Tests ( tests ) where

import Distribution.TestSuite

instance TestOptions (String, Bool) where
    name = fst
    options = const []
    defaultOptions _ = return (Options [])
    check _ _ = []

instance PureTestable (String, Bool) where
    run (name, True) _ = Pass
    run (name, False) _ = Fail (name ++ " failed!")

test :: (String, Bool) -> Test
test = pure

-- In actual usage, the instances 'TestOptions (String, Bool)' and
-- 'PureTestable (String, Bool)', as well as the function 'test', would be
-- provided by the test framework.

tests :: [Test]
tests =
    [ test ("bar-1", True)
    , test ("bar-2", False)
    ]

in my .cabal file:

Test-Suite binutils
  Hs-source-dirs:     tests/
  Type:               detailed-0.9
  Test-module:        Tests
  Build-depends:      base, Cabal >= 1.9.2

I then run cabal configure --enable-tests and finally run cabal test.

It gives me this:

Running 1 test suites...
Test suite binutils: RUNNING...
Test suite binutils: PASS
Test suite logged to: dist/test/charm-0.0.1-binutils.log
1 of 1 test suites (0 of 0 test cases) passed.

Which seems odd, since there are 2 test cases (not 0 as the output claims)
and one of them should definitely be failing (it has a False in it).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Daniel