Hackage2 server ready for testing

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Fri Aug 24 17:17:24 CEST 2012

Hi all,

All the bugs identified in the Hackage 2 server as blockers have now
been fixed, and I have a mirror of Hackage running here:
    http://new-hackage.haskell.org/

I suggest that we proceed with:

* A 3 week testing period, to be announced on haskell@ and libraries@
* Assuming no new blocking bugs are found which justify additional
  testing time, disable uploads to the Hackage 1 server
* Throw the testing Hackage 2 instance away, and make a new mirror from
  the Hackage 1 server
* Point hackage.haskell.org at the new Hackage 2 instance

I think that a 3 week testing period will be sufficient as I expect most
testing will happen in the first week or two, or the last few days, so
any extra time is essentially wasted. I was actually initially going to
propose 2 weeks, but given the timing of ICFP et al I think an extra
week is justified.

The reason I propose throwing away this test instance is that I think
it's important that people are able to test uploading, and therefore
uploading dummy packages and dummy versions should be encouraged.

Does that plan sound reasonable to everyone?

Is anyone willing to volunteer to be an admin for the new Hackage server
please? (people need to have an admin add their account to the uploaders
group before they can upload).

A couple more notes:

The mirror is a week or two old, so the latest package uploads won't be
on it. I don't plan to set up continuous mirroring, as I think it may be
more useful for people to be able to upload new versions to both servers
themselves, for testing.

The documentation builder has built (or failed to build) docs for the
latest versions of all packages, but it's still working through older
versions. It will therefore take up to 35mins before it notices that a
new package has been uploaded, and builds docs for it.

Finally, I would like to thank the Industrial Haskell Group
(http://industry.haskell.org/) for funding this work.

Thanks
Ian
--