hackage2 account approvals (Re: Hackage 2 status)

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Tue Jul 3 03:48:08 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:

> I think we should avoid manual approvals; I know several people who
> have excellent, working, used in-production, cabalified Haskell code
> but for whatever reason they are reluctant to request an account --
> however they have code on github.

A key difference of course being that github has a two-level namespace for
projects.

Allowing random users to upload code only really becomes a problem
> when poorly named or insecure packages pollute the global namespace;

Just to be clear: this is already a problem. A substantial amount of the
stuff on Hackage today is junk. I don't actually mind there being crufty
packages, but their number undoubtedly makes it very hard to find packages
that are genuinely interesting or useful. And then there's the compounding
factor of a package being listed under every category that its author
tagged it with. Since we lack any means of filtering, searching for, or
nominating "good" packages, it's kind of a backhanded blessing for now that
more people can't, or choose not to, upload packages.