deprecating

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Oct 22 18:06:02 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

> Dear maintainers of****
>
> bytestring****
>
> cabal****
>
>          vector****
>
> time****
>
> dph

Hi, Simon -

How did you come up with this list? It is missing the vast majority of
users of Rank2Types.

Most people embed language pragmas directly into the source files that use
them, so grepping .cabal files is going to massively undercount users of
any given feature.

Based on repeated recent experience, I expect getting rid of Rank2Types to
be another substantial source of make-work for library authors. The GHC
upgrade path has been very bumpy indeed recently, and this seems assured to
continue that unhappy trend. I respectfully request that you silently
retain Rank2Types as a synonym for RankNTypes.

Thanks,
Bryan.