deprecating

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 22 18:14:12 CEST 2012

Based on repeated recent experience, I expect getting rid of Rank2Types to be another substantial source of make-work for library authors. The GHC upgrade path has been very bumpy indeed recently, and this seems assured to continue that unhappy trend. I respectfully request that you silently retain Rank2Types as a synonym for RankNTypes.

Do you mean “silently and forever”?   Deprecation simply means that everything continues to work, but you get a little nudge to change.  Isn’t that what it’s for?  If you treat deprecation as equivalent to error, then there isn’t much point in having it.

It’s possible that making Rank2Types = RankNTypes silently and forever is the right answer.  It just doesn’t feel right to me.  But I’m not a library author and I don’t feel terribly strongly.

Simon