Hackage 2

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:32:38 CEST 2012

On 6 September 2012 19:53, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 07:14:53PM +0100, Ross Paterson wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 06:49:36PM +0100, Matthew Gruen wrote:
>> > To my knowledge, It's technically possible to import the old accounts.
>>
>> Why is that?  I think that's worth exploring, as you'd be losing
>> associations between 1150 users and 24456 uploads of 4442 packages.
>> (Not entirely, because the old names would be there as text, but
>> they wouldn't be connected to user-ids.)
>
> I think you misread "possible" as "impossible"?
>
> FWIW, I assumed that there had been a decision that importing accounts
> is either impossible or unwanted, as the mirror script doesn't do it and
> there was no TODO item for it anywhere. But if that's not the case then
> I can look into importing them.

There's two bits: there's the bulk import and then there's the mirroring bot.

The bulk import can import the user accounts, given the htpasswd file
from the existing server. Obviously the mirroring bot does not have
access to that. The mirroring bot can do something with users however,
it will try to set the owner of the new package on the destination
server to be the same as the owner on the origin server, but I'd have
to check the details.

Here's the tricky part...

(Matthew Gruen and I spent some time investigating this but I'm unsure
how much of it is implemented...)

The existing hackage server uses http basic authentication and an
apache htpasswd file. The new server code uses http digest
authentication as this is somewhat better (not as good as ssl but
better than basic auth).

The passwords from the htpasswd file cannot be converted into the
storage format for the digest auth (not without cracking them!). Also,
we cannot use either basic and digest depending on the user. So the
solution is this...