Hackage 2 and acid-state vs traditional databases

Leon Smith leon.p.smith at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:31:03 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> I think it would be best to use lowest-common-denominator SQL, so that
> one can set up a Hackage 2 instance with postgreq, mysql, sqlite, or
> another DB backend.

While I think that's a laudable goal in theory,  unfortunately the only
database-independent client interface Haskell has at the moment is HDBC,
 which is rather painful to use compared to mysql-simple, pgsql-simple,
postgresql-simple,  and sqlite-simple.    And unfortunately,  there are
also some incompatibilities between the *-simples, though perhaps one
could, with great care,  write code that works on any of them by changing
which module is imported.

The other issue is that least-common-denominator sql is also pretty
restrictive,  and that in a great many of my own projects,  I've found
database-specific functionality compelling,  often allowing me to implement
things much more efficiently than otherwise,  either in terms of
programming time or runtime or both.

Best,
Leon