Cabal-1.18.0 and cabal-install-1.18.0 release candidates (please test)

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 19:42:22 CEST 2013

Hi all,

We're close to a new release of Cabal/cabal-install and I'd appreciate some
help in testing the new release. To install the release candidate, simply
run:

cabal install http://johantibell.com/files/Cabal-1.18.0.tar.gz
http://johantibell.com/files/cabal-install-1.18.0.tar.gz

Please try on different OSes if you have several available. Report bugs at

https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues

*Things to try*

This is not a complete list of new features (and bugs fixed)!

*Sandboxing*

Sandboxes help prevent "dependency hell" by having each project you're
working on use a separate package database to install its dependencies in.
Try it out on one of your projects like so:

cd my-pkg
cabal sandbox init  # only once
cabal install --only-dependencies
cabal configure
cabal build

*GHCi support*

The new cabal repl commands lets you load up your library inside GHCi
without lots of command line fiddling. Just run

cabal repl

instead of cabal build and play around without your library.

*Known issues to be fixed before release*

https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1439

Cheers,
Johan