cabal: question on compiling build prerequisites

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Dec 8 18:50:21 UTC 2013

Hi John,

thanks for your reply! So say my package directory contains two files:

 Test.hs
 PreProc.hs

What you are suggesting is:

 ghc Test.hs -F -pgmF ./PreProc

However, this gives the error message:

 ghc: could not execute: ./PreProc

And indeed, while GHC is smart enough to automatically run a
preprocessor, it is not smart enough to automatically *compile* the
preprocessor. So it needs to be compiled beforehand, which would be
Cabal's job.

But strangely, there doesn't seem to be a way to get Cabal to do this
(apart from doing some very low-level hacking in the Setup.hs file).
Hence my question.

In a related problem, and more generally, the .cabal format seems to
be lacking any way to specify things (packages, built programs) that
are prerequisites of Setup.hs, as opposed to of the libraries or
executables being built. So if my Setup.hs imports some non-base
package, there is no way to ensure it is actually installed before
Setup.hs is compiled or run.

I'm ccing this to the cabal-devel list, because it's apparently a more
appropriate place to discuss this than libraries at haskell.org.

Thanks, -- Peter