cabal install --only

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 12:47:13 CET 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Andres Löh <andres at well-typed.com> wrote:

> No, please do not remove it. Running install without --only causes all sorts
> of things to happen, because install is the magic command. The --only flag
> is for use after you have already run build and really only does the
> installation, i.e. It behaves comparable to Setup install.

Yes, I see from the code what it does, it's just that I think that the
option is obscure and very rarely used. It's not shown in the --help
output, though, so I guess it's not a big problem.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:

> Ah, maybe the help text is ambiguous; I interpreted that as saying it
> "only installs the package in the current directory [not in some other
> directory]".
>
> Perhaps rename --only to --no-reconfigure or so?

I don't think this name is better. "cabal install" runs the solver and
installs all dependencies, while "install --only" only copies the
files (like "make install"/"runghc Setup.[l]hs install").