Code style guide?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 01:15:49 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

Do we have a general notion of what we consider best practices for
contributed code to Cabal? Perhaps we should formalise something?

One of the reasons I wanted to get the wiki back online was in the hope
that it had some pointers, but it doesn't seem to. (I've started
migrating stuff anyway: have a look at
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/wiki/Migration-from-trac for status).

For example, many of the Cabal modules have explicit, and therefore
quite long, import lists, with no clear organisation, and hence when
adding new imports I have to read the entire list to make sure they are
not already there, and then wonder where makes sense to insert them.
Usually I just make something up with no pattern to it, and hence
perpetuate the problem.

I am happy to start things off with a proposal if no-one else wants to
do the writing.

Regards,
Ben Millwood (benmachine)